Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meetup and Get Out

Recently, I've been thinking about my time in England and how much I miss traveling. I feel really lucky that I was even able to go to another country. I hope that one day I'll be able to see all the places I've dreamed about visiting. I might be dreaming for a looooong time. Unfortunately, my budget is a little tight for traveling right now, but whose isn't? Also, it's not really the most appropriate time in my life to be gallivanting across the country, but that is another story. So, I've had to discover some less expensive ways to cure my travel bug. As my blog is so aptly named, I'm going to share a "recession-proof" travel tip with you right now.

I live in the Hudson Valley area of New York and it really is a beautiful place. Sometimes, we take the places we grow up in for granted because they are always there. We may overlook what visitors to the area may find beautiful. Sometimes, you have to look with a traveler's eye. With that being said, I discovered a great site called Meetup. The whole purpose of using the site is to connect people in person to give them a break from the computer. At Meetup, you can sign up for any group of your interest for free and you get to meet new people, try new things,and travel to different places. Even if the different places are local, it's still a new discovery. I signed up for a hiking group and my first meetup is next week. I'm pretty excited to discover new mountains to hike. I feel like the traveler in me will be able to rediscover the Hudson Valley.

*Blogger's note: Now, I know that meeting people off of the internet can be a little scary, but I've done my research and I've only heard good things. Obviously, there is always a risk involved so stay safe. If something doesn't seem right it probably isn't.

3 comments:

  1. I signed up for a group meeting that's going to an old abandoned sausage making plant in Texas next week. So far it looks like it's just me and a grunting, slobering, hulk of a man who wears other people's skin over his face. Do you think it's safe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're good, but if you hear any chainsaws you better be running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I wasn't even alarmed when the invite was a finger in an envelope.

    ReplyDelete