Friday, March 27, 2009

Is Twitter the new portal of evil?

Twitter. Where do I begin? You know, it's bad enough that I am on Facebook, LinkedIn, and I have a blog, so why in God's name do I need a Twitter account? In case you don't know Twitter is a new social networking site, or as the creators describe it, "a free social messaging utility for staying connected in real-time." Why? What is next? We are all going to get the internet hooked up to our veins? "Dude, I'm texting you every time my heart beats!"

That's not even the worst part. Not only are us regular people on it, but celebs are too. Totally awesome! Again, I ask why? Why do I need to know that Matthew McConaughey is eating a ham sandwich right at this moment? Or that Ashton Kutcher is totally in love with his "hot wifey, Demi Moore?" Yes, he calls her wifey I know this because his Twitter page made the headlines of Yahoo news. Because of this ridiculousness I am pronouncing Twitter as the new portal of evil.

So, as you can see, I am very bewildered by this site. I just don't get it. Honestly, I don't think that I am interesting enough to be "tweet-ing" every thing I do at every second. I can tell you right now: I'm in my sweat pants, drinking coffee, and job hunting online. Mystery solved. This was all until a friend of mine messaged me and told me she found a job via Twitter. What now?

This friend of mine, we will call her "Joan" just for kicks, said she was against Twitter as well, but was curious about it. "Joan" signed up and found this group on it called, "Women Who Launch." So, she started emailing one of the directors of the group and sent her resume. She was offered a position. Say what? Now, I am very happy for her, but I am kind of scared as well. She was my last comrade from my graduating class who was just as confused about life after college as me. Obviously, my social networking skills are not up to par because I'm pretty sure my emails to people are sent directly to their spam folders and they scan my calls so they are sent to voicemail. ("Shit, it's that Schultz person again, DENIED!") That's what it seems like any way. So, should I make a Twitter page, even though it's the portal of evil? Or, should I just keep sending out resumes every day hoping someone notices? You have to work hard and be agressive to achieve your goals, but how far is too far I wonder?

Remember when the internet didn't exist? Yeah, I don't either.

2 comments:

  1. NOOOO!!! don't do it bridget! you're absolutely right, no one, no matter who they are needs to be 100% accessible 100% of the time. the whole idea is scary.

    at least by going to interviews in person you can have a little more fun trying out a fake accent or dressing like a dude or something, because that's not weird at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, I've heard the name 'twitter' but I have no idea what it is...I do know that it sounds wretched. This networking bullshit is getting out of hand, pretty soon nobody will have any real jobs, we'll just be networking with each other all day.

    ReplyDelete