Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Birthday

This past weekend was my Birthday. I turned twenty-three in case you were wondering blog. It was a really fun time, but only because of Mr. Spoons.

Yes, Mr. Spoons.

I started my evening by going to see "I Love You, Man." It was hilarious.
After the movie, it was still early and my friend and I were kind of bored so we thought of some stuff to do. Where could we go to have a few drinks and watch people sing classic eighties songs through the art of karaoke? Gloria's Griddle Grill in New Windsor of course!

Gloria's has karaoke every Saturday night and this week was their big contest. Everyone who sang was pretty average, until I saw a glittering in the corner of my eye. I heard the announcer say with pride beaming in his voice, "Can we get Mr. Spoons up to the stage please?" Out walks something from every child's nightmare.

A man, about eighty, wearing a top hat and a glitter vest saunters up to the stage. He will be singing "Sweet Georgia Brown." Just imagine any vaudeville type song you have ever heard in your life.

All of a sudden the crowd is swept back to the roaring twenties and that's when it happens. Mr. Spoons breaks out his playing spoons and starts banging on the tables. All you hear from the audience is chants of: "You're killing em' spoons", "Play them Spoons!", and then just shouts of "SPOONS, SPOONS, SPOONS!" I don't know if it was my drink, but I didn't know if what I was seeing was real. It was just one of those things that happens in this town that will probably never occur any where else. All my friend and I could do was laugh and chant "Spoons" with everyone else.

p.s. He has a website: http://mrspoons.com/

1 comment:

  1. Gloria's Griddle Grill sounds like the nexus of all evil.

    ReplyDelete